Do you know what is Sternutation?
Sternutation is scientific name of sneezing (Ackchooo…..)
So, why do you sneeze?
Sneezing is a body’s natural way of getting rid of something irritating your nose.. It begins with a tickling sensation in the nerve endings that sends a message to your brain that it needs to get rid of something irritating the lining of your nose
If you sneeze that means that you are allergic to something. Dust, cold air, pepper etc can irritate your nose and trigger a sneeze. When germs and viruses make a home in your nose that can cause swelling and more sneezing.
Sneezes travel fast and furiously. A single sneeze can travel as fast as 100 miles per hour. That means your body can send 100,000 germs at that speed. No wonder we can contract the flu so easily during flu season
Although your body does it automatically sneezing involves many complex coordination of several different parts of the body, belly muscles, chest muscles, diaphragm, muscle underneath your lungs and your eyelids make a sneeze. Your eyelids are important in this sneezing process because you don’t want to see what germs fly into the air. Sneezing protects your body by clearing bacteria and viruses from the nose.
When teachers and parents tell you to sneeze in tissue or your inner elbow they know what they are talking about because that can give other people your germs which is not good.
Some interesting facts about sneezing :
- The person who had the longest sneezing spree was 978 days straight.
- People don’t sneeze when they are asleep because the nerves involved in nerve reflex are also resting.
- We can’t sneeze and keep our eyes open–and no one knows why
- Our heart does not stop when we sneeze
- How we sneeze says smoothing about us.
- When we sneeze it can travel up to 5 feet away
- The bacteria from our explosion into the air can spread up to 150 feet away
- After a person sneezes people say God bless you” or similar thinhs in other languages
- Plucking stray hairs on your face may trigger a nerve that supplies your sneeze nerve
- Sunshine will make one out of three people sneeze.
- Sometimes workout may make you sneeze
Some interesting videos about sneezing :
First recoded sneeze of the world.
Sneezing in slow motion
In conclusion: Sneezing is important to our health. sometimes watching somebody sneeze can be funny and sometimes infectious.
Some interesting links about sneezing :